Based in Austin, TX
Oct 14, 2010
Press / Business Contact:
Who are we?We are a small, creative, indie game studio with a passion for polished and unique games. We love building anything that's oozing with style. We've assembled a close-knit distributed team of four who wear an absurd number of hats and frequently kick major ass at a moments notice.
What Have We Made?Our titles include Snuggle Truck (or Smuggle Truck, depending on who you ask), Jack Lumber, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaCULUS for the Oculus Rift, and our upcoming Kickstarter funded interactive narrative game, Dyscourse.
We've also collaborated with other teams to create other flavors of AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, as well as the mobile game Shoot Many Robots.
Owlchemy brings Jack Lumber to a real lumberjack convention in Wisconsin
Jack Lumber game trailer -- our favorite video!
Our Kickstarter video for Dyscourse
Alex is interviewed by Unity
Platforms: Mac, PC, Linux (Steam) (Currently in Development)
- Currently in development, Dyscourse is an experimental survival game featuring emergent story, group psychology, and the struggle to endure.
- Successfully funded on Kickstarter, raising over $44,000.
- Bonus scenario: Indie Plane Crash, featuring the story of a group of indie game developers who crash landed on their way to a conference.
- Massive press coverage from all major gaming press (Joystiq, Kotaku, RPS, Polygon, etc).
- Demoed at Pax East '14.
- Beta for backers released in July.
- Launching in February 2015.
Jack Lumber (jacklumbergame.com)
Platforms: Mac, PC, Linux (Steam), iOS, Android, BB10, BB Playbook, WP8
- An irreverent lumberjack-themed log chopping line-drawing game starring the revenge-driven lumberjack Jack Lumber. A tree killed his granny and he's out to get revenge on the forest.
- Featured heavily by Apple and Google Play
- For the first 6 months on the market, SEGA partnered with Owlchemy Labs for a promotional deal on iOS and helped by co-publishing Jack Lumber on the App Store. All IP and rights are owned by Owlchemy Labs.
- Rave reviews from Polygon, 148Apps, IGN, and many other top gaming journalism sites.
- Developed a motion-based Leap Motion build in which you chop logs with your finger in thin air.
Snuggle Truck (snuggletruck.com)
Platforms: Mac, PC, Linux (Steam), iOS, Android, BB Playbook, Nokia N9, BB10, WP8
- Fun, family friendly physics-based racer. Drive a bunch of snuggly stuffed animals in a rusty truck over bumpy terrain and deliver them safely to the zoo. Easier said than done.
- Over 8 million installs.
- Over 30,000 free, user-created custom online levels included in the game.
- Top 100 iOS game of all time according to Metacritic (89 Metacritic score).
- Featured heavily by Apple and Google Play.
Shoot Many Robots
- Run and gun hordes of ever-changing robots in this over-the-top high definition 3D infinite runner/gunner.
- Owlchemy developed the mobile version of Shoot Many Robots, a re-imagining of the PS3/360 console title, built as a new game from the ground up.
Platforms: Mac, PC, Linux (Steam), iOS, Android
- A high-flying skydiving game where you score points by dodging buildings and collecting floating score plates.
- Owlchemy built the mobile sequel to the BASE jumping and skydiving game “Aaaaa!”
- Owlchemy built the PC/Mac sequel on Steam called “Aaaaa! for the Awesome”.
- Top 100 rated iOS games of all time according to Metacritic (90 Metacritic score)
Platforms: Oculus Rift (Mac, PC, Linux, Steam, Oculus Share)
- Dive off of buildings in VR and fly through the city in this thrilling Oculus Rift port of the aforementioned Aaaaa! title.
- The first commercially available Oculus Rift game not created by Valve ;)
- The top downloaded Oculus Rift game by Oculus VR on their "Oculus Share" site.
- Used at conferences as a hardware demo for the Oculus Rift.
Press CoverageOwlchemy Labs Articles
- Owlchemy Labs Shares Its Formula!
- Alex Schwartz Interview! Unite 2013 (YouTube)
- Owlchemy Labs Talks VR, Steam Dev Days
- Owlchemy Labs on Porting Games
- Alex from Owlchemy talking about Owlchemy Labs
- Eurogamer "Indie Plane Crash" coverage!
- Joystiq launch coverage!
- Polygon Dyscourse coverage!
- Polygon launch coverage!
- GameInformer Dyscourse coverage!
- Rock Paper Shotgun gameplay coverage!
- Destructoid "Indie Plane Crash" coverage!
- IndieGames.com launch coverage!
- Gamezebo launch coverage!
- BigSushi Dyscourse podcast!
- Press2Reset Dyscourse podcast!
- IndieStatik launch coverage!
- Boston.com crowdfunding article!
Founder / Designer / Chief Scientist / Janitor
Chief Technical Owl / Programmer
Programmer / Designer / All-hat-wearer
See our About Page for more details on project-specific team members.
Layout adapted from Rami Ismail's presskit()